Tuesday 4 December 2012

Response to "Why I Hate School But Love Education"

I just watched a YouTube video that's been circling around the social media world for the last few days. Usually I jump right on viral videos and share them with my networks immediately but not this one - I was hesitant. I had a feeling that whomever was talking in that video was going to bash what I am currently doing in pursuing higher education just so I can get a better job and make more money in my little black suit (which are all not reasons I went back). I didn't want to be bashed and didn't want to take 6 minutes out of my life to feel badly about my decision.

But after seeing comments of fellow university friends on FB that were inspired and sharing this link, I decided to give it a view. And I'm glad I did - this guy is right on the money.

For those of you who haven't watched it, I'll post the link at the bottom of this page. To recap, this young man, who is standing out front of a university, speaks about how we are programmed to believe education is key to success, less stress, more money. He says society and our parents [generally] believe the only way to be successful is to go to school. This young man goes on to give examples of people who did just the opposite - Branson (my idol), Jobs, Winfrey.. that never achieved higher education and are incredibly successful. Furthermore he expands this list of the newly defined educated-not-schooled into people like Malcom X, David Beckham, and Beethoven. Though not educated through school or by traditional means, these people are educated in their respective fields and masters of their art. So are they any less smart than a piece of paper that states a degree?

School does not equal education. And education does not equal school. In agreeance with this young man I find that we develop understanding and education best outside of a traditional school environment, where tests with specific answers, grading and bell curves, set timelines and strict codes, do not limit one to their thinking and application. I see this all the time with people I've grown up with that cannot focus properly in a classroom environment. Poorly 'educated' (not poorly schooled) teachers would write these people off as being disobedient or stupid, but they aren't - they just learn in a different capacity, learn better at a different time of day, or learn exponentially more when taught via different, non-traditional, means.

I hope we get to a point in the school system where we can foster a culture of learning that does not mark in red pen and cast aside children that cannot focus from 9:14 - 9:49 in second period math class. People learn differently. People envelop education differently. And so we must adjust our school system to reflect the mindsets of all learning types, not just the a-typical types. Though this may not sound feasible, I challenge the traditional means to also step out of the box and find ways to educate, truly educate, not school teach.

As I sit here, about to head off to my higher educated learning, I am thankful I chose a school where I feel like I'm getting educated, not taught. There is a considerable difference between the two, and is a major differentiator between my undergrad and grad program. I am graded on contribution, analysis, and discussions. Not 2 midterms and 1 final per class that have me staying up until all hours in the library cramming useless charts, tables, lists, and dates that I will undoubtedly forget. Just using your mind, opening your thoughts, to how certain situations can be viewed and backing that up. That's how you get graded at this level. And that is what I call education, not schooling.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZmM7zPLyI





No comments:

Post a Comment